Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Little Things...

Hello, I have thought about doing this blog for a while now but wasn’t sure and of course could always find an excuse not to do it. I think it actually started as a joke, but that’s not the point. I have many “little things” that I am thankful for and I started making a list so I wouldn't forget! : ) But I wasn’t sure what to talk about first and I probably started with another excuse not to do it. As I was eating my cereal tonight the topic hit me. The last couple of years have had many ups and downs and being the person that I am, I don’t like to dwell on the negatives. This is something that I really don’t like talking about and most of my close friends know about this but I generally avoid the topic. I started thinking about how I was limiting God by not speaking about it. I’m not saying that I will be able to talk about it in public, but this is a start. Whew!! Here we go….

Four years ago this week, I lost my fiancé in a senseless shooting. It has definitely been one of the hardest times in my 29 years on this crazy planet. I still don’t understand why this happened but I know it was all a part of God’s plan. You might think that there isn’t much to be thankful for in this situation, and at the time I felt that way also, but God was there and He still is. First, He has made me a stronger person through everything that has happened. I have Him to thank, as well as the friends and family who have been there for me through everything. Second, through this tragedy God has blessed our church more than anyone could have dreamed. For those of you who don’t know, my fiancés’ dad is the pastor and through all of us affected, there have been many lives that have come to know Jesus, which is the biggest blessing there could be. God used us for his glory!! How amazing is it that God used me, just a regular person. I don’t feel special, actually I feel pretty inadequate most of the time, but God used me and I am so thankful that He allowed me to see that.

There is probably much more to be thankful but God hasn’t opened my eyes to it yet. And as I write this, with tears, I am still thankful that God is with us and that He never leaves us.

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” Col 3:15 NIV

1 comment:

  1. I am posting this comment for a dear friend and my adopted grandma!! I am thankful for her and her husband!!

    THANKFUL FOR LITTLE THINGS IS A WONDERFUL THOUGHT. SOMETHING WE TEND TO OVERLOOK. WHEN WE LOST OUR HOUSE, FAMILY, EXTENDED FAMILY, AND FRIENDS STEPPED FORWARD AND HELPED US. WE WERE TRULY THANKFUL FOR THAT. BUT THAT WAS NOT A LITTLE THING. WE NEED TO REMEMBER TO BE THANKFUL FOR THE LITTLE THINGS. YOU REMINDED US.

    GOD BLESSES US WITH LITTLE THINGS EVERYDAY. A SMILE FROM A STRANGER, OPENING YOUR DOOR AND SEEING A FRIEND, FLOWERS BLOOMING.

    "FOR EVERYTHING THERE IS A SEASON, AND A TIME TO EVERY PURPOSE UNDER THE HEAVEN" ECCLESIASTES 3:1

    ReplyDelete