Wednesday, February 24, 2016

We need to go to work!

I’m not sure if you have heard me say it, but when God has a message for you, he will repeat the message until you “get it”.  This happens to me all the time because I guess I normally don’t get it!  Haha.  The message that he has been repeating to me this week is that I need to pray more.  Multiple messages, from multiple people, all speaking of the importance of prayer.  It’s not a coincidence; it is God. 

On Sunday, my pastor spoke of how as a church we need to pray more.  His message started with Ephesians 6:18; where we need to pray at all times.  He also said that as a generation, we have gotten so busy with things; that we don’t have time to pray or even get into the word of God as we should.  The things aren't necessarily bad, but they are taking our time away from God. Its so sad, but so true and I am so guilty of this.  We need to be lifting our church up in prayer; for the leaders, teachers and members.  We need to pray that we be beacons in our community that lead people to Jesus because that is our main calling. 

Then, that afternoon, I saw a tweet from Beth Moore that said “What happens in our church services was never meant to be up to our pastors, worship teams and leaders alone.  We members are not spectators.”  “God forbid we’d sit back, eat a donut hole and sure hope church is good today.  Let’s get off our spectating rear ends & pray.”  “Let’s pray hindrances down.  For God’s word to be effectual in every hearer.  For salvation/transformation.  Relationships healed.”  You’ve gotta love 140 characters, but the message is the same.  We are not to sit on the sidelines and let the leaders be the main "praye-rs".  We need to take control of our prayer life and use it to bring others closer to God!

Well, then on facebook last night, someone shared a blog post of Beth Moore.  I thought it was a continuation of her tweet, but the blog post was from February 4, 2015.  So it was posted a year earlier, but with the same message.  Colossians 4:2Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.  I thought I would summarize her post but thought this would be more powerful.  (I am hearing it in my head, the way she is saying/yelling it, like she does during her messages.)  Here it is straight from her post, in it’s ALL CAPS…

“WE’VE GOT TO PRAY.
WE’VE GOT TO BECOME PEOPLE OF PRAYER.
WE’VE GOT TO PRESS IN MUCH FURTHER AND BELIEVE GOD TO BE MUCH BIGGER.
WE’VE GOT TO CEASE LETTING PRAYER BE OUR WEAKEST SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE.
WE’VE GOT TO STEP IT UP AND WIELD THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT IN RELENTLESS INTERCESSION.
WE’VE GOT TO GO FURTHER THAN WE’VE GONE BEFORE IN PRAYER. PRESS HARDER. THINK HIGHER. DIG OUR KNEES IN DEEPER.
WE WILL NOT LIVE BOLDER THAN WE PRAY.
THERE ARE PARTS OF OUR CALLINGS, WORKS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, AND DEFEATS OF THE DARKNESS THAT WILL COME NO OTHER WAY THAN FURIOUS, FERVENT, FAITH-FILLED, UNCEASING PRAYER.”

Ya’ll, we have to pray now more than ever.  Pray for loved ones, pray for those who are hurting and especially pray for those that don’t know Jesus.  My pastor asked us to pray for 15 minutes every day, for our church, for lost loved ones and for each other.  We need it now more than ever.  I hope this speaks to someone, like it has spoken to me.  My weakest spiritual discipline has been prayer and I want to change that.  I want to become more powerful in prayer.  It’s what God wants us to do and one big benefit is that he loves to answer our prayers.  We just have to go to work!!  Thank you Jesus!


I prayed to the Lord and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears.  Psalm 34:4

No comments:

Post a Comment